Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Factorials and Frisbee

     I love that feeling of euphoria within my literary mindset after creating such flawless alliteration for a title!  Factorials and Frisbee!  The consonants just roll off the tongue like marbles.  Today was just a normal day of routine and monotony that involved school, Ultimate, and some sort of musical rehearsal.  On the school topic, specifically mathematics, I have a new topic that is quite interesting to my easy-to-impress mind.  This topic is factorials.  A factorial is the partial product of a series.  This means that 4! is the same as 4x3x2x1, which isn't useful at all in the real world.  Something I do enjoy, however, about factorials is the fact that whenever I see a factorial, I don't say in my head "three factorial", but rather I say "THREE!"  This makes math a little more fun than the simple, yet difficult material.

The start of my anticipated Ultimate Disc collection.  My future plans are going to make
these walls filled with discs.  
     I've come to the conclusion that I really want to succeed at this sport of Ultimate Frisbee.  After witnessing arguably the biggest high school Ultimate Tournament, I've gained a new appreciation for what the sport looks like.  I think that it's a very materialistic sport in the sense that it's all about having a nice jersey and disc.  Maybe that's just my personal experience giving me a tunneled vision of what Ultimate is like, but regardless, the sport itself is very legitimate.  Seeing the top teams in the Midwest play together smoothly was amazing.  All of their throws were perfect and they knew exactly what to do.  Today at practice, much to my disappointment, I still did badly during our scrimmages.  I just have trouble judging my throws and controlling them.  It's much different to throw a disc with someone than it is to throw it with mayhem going on in every angle of your peripheral vision.  

No comments:

Post a Comment