Saturday, April 28, 2012

Youth Symphony

     Today, I had the opportunity to audition for the prestigious Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras.  I've been preparing for quite a while for this audition and I think my performance was a very realistic representation of my abilities.
     First of all, the building the auditions were in was quite old.  The bathrooms didn't contain toilets, and the elevators were exposed and manually operated.  I, unlike my mother, liked the elevators despite the fact that they caused me to become dizzy.  The audition room had three judges, and it almost seemed that they had no idea what they were doing!

They didn't seem to recognize all of my orchestral excerpts, which is surprising considering how common I thought they were.  I couldn't tell whether or not they liked my performance.  For Joe's audition, they gave him some tips to sound better.  For example, they told him he needed to work on his time if makes the orchestra.  I don't know if they are just educating him for next year, or if they want him to improve so he can contribute better to the orchestra.  Either way, they weren't very responsive to my audition, and I can't infer anything about the result.  All I can do is wait and hope, even though I don't know what to hope for.

No comments:

Post a Comment