Friday, April 27, 2012

What it's Like to Handle



Neuqua Valley Marching Band 2011 - 2012 - Labor Day Parade
     Ultimate Frisbee, a new and growing sport, is something I wanted to try ever since my debut to Neuqua Valley through Marching Band way back in August.  All the upper class-men in the band seemed to be involved in this game, and I was very interested in why they all seemed to be so good!  I asked them and they told me that I should do Ultimate.  At the time, I wasn't considering it because I wanted to maybe be involved in TV club and/or a theater production.  My mind quickly changed after I realized how badly I wanted to learn how to throw that darn disc.  My uncle and cousin visited and we went to throw a disc, and I was very eager to improve on my throws.  I signed up for the winter league through my school, and I didn't know what to expect.  All I could do was throw with my dad and learn the rules.  I walked into the indoor sports facility on the first day of the league, and saw discs flying.  I was excited, but a little hesitant about what was going to happen.  I got on for my first point, and ran in circles.  I never got the disc, and I felt like I had no purpose.  However, I did think it was a fun game and I eagerly wanted to learn.
Thursday, April 26, 2011 - Handling against Neuqua Valley's CHSUL Team
     Spring rolls around, and as does the true Ultimate season.  I couldn't wait to play with people my own level, and as I hoped, the game was much more enjoyable than at the winter league.  After practicing for a week, we split into handlers and cutters.  Let me explain the difference, first.  There are three handlers on the field and four cutters.  The cutters go midfield and cut in and out, getting open for a pass from the handlers.  The handlers work together to move the disc laterally, and provide dump passes to restart the 10 second time limit for disc possession.  After learning how to cut at the winter league, I wanted to try handling because they get more playing time and have a bigger role.  I found it to be exactly what I expected, but I do enjoy cutting more than handling.
     As a handler, I feel personally responsible for the cutters.  Whenever a cutter catches a disc, especially a new cutter, the look in their eyes is of complete terror.  They look like a deer in the headlights of a fast moving semi-truck, and it's my job to take the burden of disc possession off their shoulders so they can run and catch it again, repeating the cycle.  As a handler, it is very easy to mess up.  When I have the disc in my hand, there is so much to look for that it's almost disorienting.  Handlers determine how the game goes, and the teamwork aspect is vital.  Handling is the best way to improve at Ultimate, and it's also less competitive than cutting.  People don't want to handle because they don't believe in themselves, but I think that everyone should give it a try!  I think that everyone should give Ultimate a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment