Wednesday, April 25, 2012

La Fiesta Mexicana

     Prelude and Aztec Dance from Herbert Owen Reed's "La Fiesta Mexicana".  I see this song as a reason to love music, and it gives me motivation to continue to improve on my instrument.  Just today, I watched a video that spoke of motivation.  In a study, people were more motivated by mastery than by money.  People would rather get better at something and be recognized for it instead of receive monetary reimbursement for their efforts (although that's still nice).  Why do teachers become teachers knowing they will always be financially stressed?  It's because they feel like they have a purpose, which also motivates people more than monetary reimbursement.
     I love this song because it is filled with emotion and Mexican culture.  I've never been to anything remotely Mexican, but this song gives me an idea of what their musical culture is like.  This song can be performed all around the world to people of many cultures and it would have the same affect on them.  This song brings one man's experience with Mexico into perspective for anyone who listens to it or performs it.  I hope to one day perform this song myself.  I only heard the first part of the prelude, the march "El Toro", and the Aztec Dance at Neuqua Valley's Holiday Crystal Concert two years ago.  I was very impressed, especially because I love the Chimes at the beginning!

(Please link to the rest of Reed's "La Fiesta Mexicana" performed by the "President's Own" Marine Band.  The second movement is entitled "Mass", and the third is entitled "Carnival".  They all have the same thumbnail image)  

No comments:

Post a Comment